About Ayrshire Farm
Ayrshire Farm is a large diversified livestock farm located in the heart of hunt country, Loudoun County Virginia. Our mission is to farm sustainably and profitably, promoting the benefits of locally produced, humanely raised meats and organic produce to the local consumer and wider community through education, outreach, and example. We practice organic, humane farming that focuses on preserving heritage breeds.
About Large Livestock Manager Position
The large livestock manager is responsible for oversight of both our cattle and swine operations. The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
• Responsible for the health and safety of our animals, our employees, and our contractors.
o Cow/calf operation
o Finishing herd
o Farrow to finish operation
o A crew of 10 workers
• Supervision of large livestock crew schedules and duties
o Maintain a training program
o Approve payroll
o Checking animal areas for cleanliness
o Ensuring all records are being kept up (healthcare, humane, organic, etc.)
• Work with our retail arm to both forecast the slaughter schedule and select large livestock to meet that schedule each week. Must be able to anticipate gaps in the forecast and advise the farm manager if animals need to be purchased or other changes made.
• Monitor the daily rate of gains and documentation of each animal’s history through slaughter and grading.
• Transport animals to our slaughter facility, ensuring that we are complying with organic and humane standards such a feed and water availability.
• Manage breeding and progeny records for all purebred stock.
• Responsible for assisting in creating a grazing plan at the beginning of each growing, and non-growing season using planned rotational grazing principles, then executing that plan, making necessary adjustments as needed based on available forage.
A more detailed job description is available for candidates we are interested in interviewing.
15+ years of beef production experience
Degree in animal science or equivalent experience
Must be comfortable using Microsoft Word and Excel to create reports and analyze data
Must posses clean driving record
Must have, or be eligible to work towards a CDL
Will be required to pass a background check
Competitive salary commensurate with experience
On-site housing available
Excellent health insurance, with employee plan covered 100% by farm
401k program available with employer match contributions
Paid time off
Discounts to the farm’s store and restaurant
Submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include desired salary range in email as well as professional references.