Local Food Hub and Foodshed Capital are jointly hiring an Outreach and Diversity Coordinator to help manage a technical assistance program for farmers and a Black Farmer Equity Fund, and to assist in other areas of farmer services as needed.
These Virginia-based organizations share a mission to support independent farms and promote fairness in farming. Foodshed Capital provides low-cost, long-term capital and financial training to farms, while Local Food Hub provides them with on-farm technical assistance, training, and market access.
The position requires someone familiar with local agriculture and farming, along with computer, communications, and interpersonal skills.
This is a non-management position that reports to a leadership team. It is a full-time position with benefits. The Outreach and Diversity Coordinator works closely with staff of both Foodshed Capital and Local Food Hub – particularly its Grower Services team — and maintains positive external relationships with community organizations, partner producers, and others.
- Help identify and recruit farmers of color to participate in the Black Farmer Equity Fund
- Conduct site visits
- Assist farmers in writing grant applications to the fund when necessary
- Help to conceptualize, develop, and implement customized technical assistance programs for farmers participating in the fund and other Local Food Hub partner farms
- Assist in establishing and managing collective purchasing program for growers
- Act as liaison to buyers and to other organizations working on Black and brown farming issues
- Help maintain farm data and compliance records
- Assist in reporting results and impacts
- Farming or related agricultural experience; familiarity with Virginia small-scale agriculture a plus, especially the unique challenges faced by new and minority-owned farms
- Basic familiarity with information technology and data management
- Good writing and communications skills
- Undergraduate college degree a plus but not required
Compensation: $43K – $48K plus benefits