Farfields Farm is a 150 acre farmstead project inspired by permaculture design and regenerative agricultural practices, located in the Blue Ridge Mountains near Afton, Virginia. Our farm is home to a native plant nursery, mixed pastures of beef cattle and laying hens, vegetable and medicinal gardens, mushroom logs, ponds, woodlands, and wildlife. The farm is also the home of the Center for Georgical Jubilism, a base for production, publication and education in service of art, faith, and ecology.
Pasture Manager Position:
Farfields Farm is seeking a full-time Pasture Manager for our 50+ acres of pasture sites. We are seeking a candidate for this position who has multi-year experience with ecological holistic pasture management, rotational grazing systems, raising grass fed cows and chickens. Experience with sheep, dairy cows and meat birds a plus. Our Pasture Manager will work with our farm management team in stewarding the farm landscape, both cultivated and wild, as well as work with our marketing/sales staff in overseeing the sales of all pasture products, sold at local farmers markets, stores, and through farmshares. The Pasture Manager will manage the pasture support staff field team, and will report to the farm owner/director.
● Pasture Management: Oversee soil building strategies; keyline plowing; irrigation systems; pasture seeding; related infrastructure oversight; etc.
● Herd Management: Oversee daily movement of animals/fencing; herd/flock health; water/feed supplements; purchasing animals; liaison with slaughterhouse; etc
● Product Management: Inventory management; Fridge/Freezer/Storage systems; etc
● Sales Management: Manage accounts, delivery schedules; Establish new accounts; Assist with development of sales/marketing strategies
● Community/Education: Coordinate pasture coordination with farm educational and community events; Help develop local partnerships for outreach and education
● Staff Management: Manage pasture staff team, budget; Coordinate with farm management team; produce work reports; etc
● Experience in holistic pasture management
● Passion for working with animals in ecological pasture management and regenerative agriculture, with interest in sharing work with wider farm team and community
● Experience with farm machinery and equipment, plus driving truck, tractor, trailer
● Proven leadership in managing staff team in a safe, communicative work environment
● Proven skills in managing details of marketing, sales aspects of pasture products
To Apply: Send resume with 2 reference contacts, and introduction letter to email@example.com, Subject line: Pasture Manager Application