Sweet Greens Farm is a first generation farm and design studio specializing in unique and heirloom cut flowers and produce grown using ecological practices. Located on sixty-five acres of gentle hills between the James and Hardware rivers, we serve the Charlottesville, Richmond and surrounding areas.
We are looking for a farm crew member to perform all the duties related to the growing and selling of flowers, fruits and vegetables with an emphasis on field work and vegetable production. This includes but is not limited to:
• Preparing ground for planting with hand tools or possibly tractors, depending on experience
• Greenhouse work including seeding, watering, and maintaining a clean greenhouse
• Weeding by hand and with tools, using a string-trimmer, and possibly weeding with our cultivating tractor
• Fieldwork including: planting, trellising, staking, netting, mulching, etc.
Miscellaneous on farm tasks, often involving moving heavy things around the farm
• Installing and operating irrigation systems
• Pest and disease management including spraying organic pesticides with a heavy backpack sprayer
• Harvesting vegetables and cutting flowers
• Washing and packing vegetables, processing flowers, and maintaining a clean washing and processing area, including cleaning the barn, buckets, bins, surfaces, etc.
• Possibly delivering orders of flowers and vegetables.
• Attending and assisting with farmers markets every Saturday morning and possibly other days of the week. This requires setting up and breaking down the market display, repeatedly lifting heavy products and supplies, working in a fast paced environment with attention to detail and providing excellent customer service.
Positions are full-time, averaging 40hrs/week with two days off. We encourage one week of unpaid vacation, with dates subject to approval. Ideal candidates will be able to work from March 18th through November 1st. There is some flexibility in the starting and ending dates, with possibility of working later into the fall season and staying on for another season.
We provide an hourly wage $8-10/hr depending on experience with potential for raises throughout the season and an end of season bonus. Employees will also have access to vegetables and flowers for personal consumption and enjoyment. We provide workers’ compensation insurance, but we do not provide health insurance. On-farm housing is not currently available, although we will do our best to help you find suitable housing if you are not from the area. We are located 25 minutes driving from Charlottesville and 5 minutes from Scottsville.
You will have the opportunity to participate in the Virginia Piedmont CRAFT group, which includes a variety of farm tours throughout the season.
Desired Work Experience and Skills:
• Previous experience working on a farm is highly desirable.
• A desire to pursue vegetable farming and/or farmer-floristry as a career.
• Ability to lift 50lbs and work in all weather conditions.
• A positive attitude!
To apply, please e-mail us at email@example.com with:
• a letter of interest
• responses to our short answer questions
• your resume
• at least two references.
In your letter of interest, please answer the following questions:
• What experience do you have in the field of agriculture, and/or with cut flowers and floral design?
• Which position are you applying for? Why do you want this position?
• Do you have other skills that compliment farming or relate directly to farming?
Short Answer Questions:
• Are you in good physical condition?
• Do you like to cook?
• Do you live locally? If not, what are your plans for relocating?
• Do you have a valid US drivers license?
• Is there a specific date that you are available to start by? Do you need to finish work by a certain date?