Allegheny Mountain Institute’s 18-month Farm and Food System Fellowship is a tuition-free educational program that fully sponsors, trains, and empowers individuals to become teachers and advocates for a food system that is socially, environmentally, and economically just. Selected Fellows spend six months in experiential, residential Farm and Food Study at AMI’s Allegheny Farm Campus, followed by a Community Action Year, applying their training in partnership with regional non-profit organizations.
Farm and Food Study: May 16 – October 26, 2022
● Learn, live, and study with a cohort of passionate individuals dedicated to revitalizing the food system on a remote mountain farm in Highland County, VA.
● Gain hands-on experience in fruit and vegetable production, poultry care, rotational grazing, mushroom cultivation, beekeeping, agroforestry, ecological farm design, food preservation, whole food cooking, and multiple aspects of the food system.
● Explore critical food system issues and deepen farming skills through educational sessions and a diverse range of weekly workshops or field trips.
● Receive a $1,000 stipend upon signature and commitment to the Community Action Year contract. Additional benefits include housing at the Allegheny Farm Campus and farm produce supplemented with whole food staples, plus 3 days of personal leave, 3 wellness days, and 3 holidays. Scholarship funds are available help offset additional living expenses.
Community Action Year: January 9 – December 15, 2023
● Put training into action through a year of immersive farm and food work with AMI and community partner organizations in Highland, Augusta and Rockingham Counties, Virginia.
● Build knowledge and skills in farming, food systems, and professional practices through monthly continuing education opportunities, field trips, and workshops.
● Grow through monthly mentorship and support by AMI staff.
● Earn $13 per hour (less payroll taxes, paid bi-weekly). Receive $400 sign-on bonus upon start of work. Additional benefits include health insurance, Workers’ Compensation, 10 days of paid time off, and 1 day of wellness leave per month.
Apply online at https://tinyurl.com/amifellowship2022 by March 7.
Learn more at www.amifellows.org or e-mail email@example.com.