VABF REKO Market Startup
For small, sustainable farmers in Virginia.
REKO (RA-ko) is an acronym for a Finish saying that means “fair consumption.”
How it works for the consumer…
What is REKO?
Reko stands for 'Fair Consumption' and is a trade model originally created in Finland. Its popularity is growing worldwide. We feel like this is a great solution to the market disruptions that COVID restrictions on business and farmer's markets have caused.
The main goals of REKO Market:
• Local and ethical production
• A direct relationship between producer and consumer
• Produced by the producer themselves with transparent production operations.
Basically, it is a Facebook-based pre-ordering system for local products. It is a very simple, efficient, and FREE way to sell directly to consumers.
Imagine being able to shop for fresh, local, and ethical produce from the comfort of your own home without having to deal with the messy hustle and bustle of stores or markets, whilst supporting small-scale producers?
All of this is possible! Simply join our REKO Market Startup group on Facebook to get more details about the process. This is an information sharing and support group for anyone interested in starting a REKO Market here in VA!
From here, you will be able to place and pick up orders weekly at our designated pick-up spot at a designated time.
Benefits for CONSUMERS...
• Not only is this convenient, but it makes different varieties of local, fresh produce more accessible and helps to take away from over-harvesting which can result in excessive waste and packaging.
• This direct relationship with producers eliminates the middlemen.
• As a bonus, you will also get to meet the friendly faces behind the products, and eliminate all middlemen that would otherwise be involved.
• Not only will you nourish your body with fresh produce but you’re also supporting local families and farmers who are growing food in a planet nurturing sustainable way.
• You get to learn about their techniques as well as animal welfare.
• Support locally produced food and community networks.
Benefits for PRODUCERS...
• Increases profitability of local producers by having direct and promised sales and by minimizing waste, packaging, delivery time and eliminating any middlemen (no commissions or hidden fees involved!).
• Producers can set their own prices which demands transparency and healthy competition.
• Pre-sales takes the guesswork out of what you need to prepare and bring. No more going home with unsold items.
• Save time! Traditional markets take up more time whereas REKO only takes about 1 hour each week to deliver and sell produce.
• Opportunity to create a vibrant local food community and create lasting relationships with your community.
The Nitty Gritty...
This is an overview of the process. It's really quite simple, bypasses the middleman, and really moves your products.
• Producers will post what they will be selling for the week such as eggs, milk, and veg. Different producers will have different goods to offer. They will specify quantities and prices and add 5-6 photos of them as well as a short description of the farm.
• Consumers can order the product by commenting on the post, for example, “5 eggs and 4 bunches of carrots.” Producers, in turn, private message the buyer with payment information. The consumer makes the payment.
• Once all of the product for the week is claimed, the producer will edit their post to note if they are sold out for the week.
• On the date set by the admins, consumers will meet producers at the designated spot at the designated time to collect their goods.